As a proud Chapter member of Virginia Green, York County aims to champion sustainable living and environmental initiatives within its community, while also offering ecofriendly options to tourists. The County takes pride in its rich history of initiatives, efforts, and events spanning 25 years.
Current Green Efforts and Events
- Restaurants are required to use sustainable straws or no straws at all.
- Riverwalk Landing
- Businesses are heated and cooled by geothermal well fields.
- E-bikes are available for rent from Patriot Tours & Provisions.
- Sidewalks and bikeways/Battlefield roads encourage travelers to ride around town rather than drive vehicles.
- Street lamps are LED.
- The Riverwalk Landing Parking Garage offers two recharging stations (one for Tesla; one for other electric vehicles).
- Riverwalk Landing Piers is a member of the Virginia Clean Marina Program.
- York County
- The Bay Star Business Program acknowledges businesses who make a pledge to protect the water in their area. Water conservation techniques are adopted by these businesses, and they are provided with the tools to share their education with the business community.
- The Great American Cleanup is an opportunity to transform a neighborhood and community into beautiful, healthy spaces. York County employees will participate in the program in late March.
- The Clean Business Awards Program recognizes County businesses that recycle, and sets an example for other businesses as a good environmental steward. Learn how to nominate a York County business.
- McReynolds Athletic Complex has implemented the Share the Air Program.
- York County Courthouse offers recharging stations.
- York County Public Libraries provides EV charging stations, water refill stations, and hosts the TREX Plastic Bag Recycling Challenge.
- Yorktown Beach:
- The beach's walkway is cleaned up three times per week by Public Works.
- Trash cans are conveniently spaced to reduce littering.
- Public Works staff members rake and clean up the beach two times per week.
- Volunteers gather for beach cleanups annually.
- Yorktown Market Days
- The annual Go Green Market is a day dedicated to educating the public about sustainable living.
- Several vendors provide sustainable options:
- Shoppers can pick up a reusable shopping bag at the Visit Yorktown booth.