Whether you’re in a relationship or not, the fact of the matter is we all love someone. And you don’t have to show it with dozens of roses or a life-sized card. Think outside the box this year when it comes to what you give and who you give to. In addition to, or instead of, a significant other, think about your friend who just got out of a long-term relationship and could really use a smile; your co-worker who’s been super stressed and might need a good laugh; or your parents who are always there for you.
Here are 11 ideas for showing your appreciation to the loved ones in your life.
1. Tell Mom to meet you at the Winter Market on February 10 for some memorable shopping time. While checking out our lovely Yorktown Market Days vendors, be sure to treat yourselves to sweet baked goods, original artwork, and food from the heart.
2. Instead of flowers and chocolates, gift an experience! Your best friend will love joining you for Community Yoga at the Watermen’s Museum. Gift her a new mat or water bottle, and tell her it’s a date!
3. Take the kids to the sweetest place in town–Little York Confectionery. From chocolate oyster shells and ice cream to giant lollipops and other colorful candy, this Historic Main Street spot is sure to delight.
4. Let the conversation flow during cocktails (or mocktails!) at Water Street Grille. These must-try libations will have your companions all abuzz! Sip and savor the special time with loved ones.
5. There’s nothing more romantic than a sunset stroll along Yorktown Beach, especially in the winter. The closer you are to your significant other, the more your body heat will just radiate off of each other.
6. To keep the body heat going…grab tickets for a Yorktown Ghost Walk. You’ll want to hold your honey extra close as you hear about haunted buildings and lingering spirits in Historic Yorktown.
7. Get the girlies together for coffee at Mobjack Bay Coffee Roasters, then sit by the backyard fire pit to catch up on life. Afterward, stroll down to On the Hill Gallery and The Gallery at York Hall to admire art that makes your heart go pitter-patter.
8. You can’t go wrong with jewelry. Book a date at Viccellio Goldsmith to find something meaningful that will stand the test of time. And if it’s been a while since you bought yourself something nice, now’s the time!
9. Did you know eating sushi on a first date increases your chances of having a second date by 170 percent? That’s according to data from Grubhub and Match. With that in mind, you might consider heading to our favorite Japanese restaurant in town, Umi Sushi.
10. Don’t underestimate the fun of a day date! History buffs will find nothing more romantic than a walk through Yorktown Battlefield.
11. Dogs deserve some extra loving, too! Show your appreciation for your furry friend with a long walk around town that ends with a special treat from Gangsta Dog. Be sure to ask about their Puppy Love cookies that help support rescue organizations.